Sunday, March 24, 2013

Self sufficiency through self service snacks


I want feeding my smalls to be quick and convenient, but prepackaged stuff is not cost effective.

I can portion out my big bags of stuff into smaller ziploc bags, but I do want to minimize trash.

I can use little glass containers, but those are not what I call kid friendly and pretty heavy to tote.

I could use stainless steel, but it's not transparent.

I want my smalls to enjoy their food but I want it to be somewhat nutritious and varied.

I want to spend less time standing at the kitchen counter playing the role of short order cook.

I want the kids to eat a specified meal and snack times, but I want to respect that their hunger may not follow my rules.

I want to end the conflict that ensues from the very reasonable limits I set around the consumption of things like dried apricots.

I want to foster independence in my kids but I am not enough of a free range parent to let them run amuck in the kitchen.  While my 4 year old is more than happy to scale counter tops to find knives and cut up his own stuff, I can't be convinced it will end well.

I'll own it, this dilemma of mine is undoubtedly a first world problem, but it's important to me and related to simplifying my life.  In this endeavor I invoked a self service snack box policy.  I will continue to make breakfast to order and a dinner that should appeal to everyone at some level.  For everything in between, here is my plan:

-Each day I  will fill boxes in the fridge with a variety of foods the kids like.
-When they are hungry, they can help themselves to whatever is in the snack box.
-If they want PB&J at 10am and a hard boiled egg for lunch, so be it.
-If they are unsatisfied with their options, they can have a banana.
-If they don't love dinner, they can finish their snack boxes.

I put these together today and the kids were happy to help themselves.




I landed on small plastic containers as the most reasonable option.  The kids can see their choices, they won't break, and it's for storage, not heating.  While it might be a stretch to relate this to urban homesteading, this is absolutely a lesson in making it simpler on me and encouraging the kids to practice becoming self sufficient.  Plus, with less time in the kitchen, I'll have more time for the garden!




No comments:

Post a Comment