Thursday, March 7, 2013

Kinder Garden


A few weeks ago we had a long overdue visit from my mother in law.  She suggested that we give each of the smalls an area in the garden to plant and tend.  She had very fond memories of a small garden she and her brother had when they were young and imagined our kids would enjoy the experience as well.  So was born the idea for the kinder garden.

I had other plans for this area originally, but it was just the right size and location for this project.  There were already and handful of strawberries that predated our ownership and it is right near their play area.  Earlier this week we weeded and prepped the area.  Robbie was very focused on removing rocks and rather proud of the bucket he collected.



  
I took Robbie and we got some additional strawberries and I let him pick out a bunch of flowers.  We did also plant some beans, but I wanted them to get the immediate satisfaction of seeing the garden full of plants.  It takes patience to wait for seeds to sprout, and smalls in general are short on patience, at least mine are.
When it came time to plant, I dug the holes, but left the plant location selection up to the smalls.  They did a phenomenal job and had a great time doing it.

If you look closely you can see my DIY shed in the background.

This was serious business  


   






































































































The area would not have been been complete without a sign, so I used some old wooden stakes and leftover paint to declare this area our very own kinder garden.




2 comments:

  1. I love this! Great job, Tenesa. I bet the kids had a blast, and it looks so lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete